Lawyers are really smart so it is surprising to see them make the same mistakes over and over again. These mistakes arise from a lack of knowledge about how Legal Project Management frameworks and disciplines can avoid or reduce ALL of the surprising mistakes and especially the worst mistake of all!
- Deliver late and think that it’s okay because the team put in a superhuman effort at the last minute!
- Know that they will miss a deadline and not tell the client until the last minute, afterwards or at all!
- Agree to a fixed timeframe without identifying and scheduling ALL the deliverables and activities!
- Agree to a fixed cost without clearly documenting scope, assumptions and external factors!
- Dismiss the expertise of highly skilled professionals who can accelerate improvements!
- Overlook the benefits of precedents in maintaining and improving work quality!
- Underestimate the importance of inspiring and leading their legal teams!
- Underestimate the value of clear and regular communication!
- Assume they know exactly what their clients and stakeholders need!
- Forget to maximise their personal productivity!
And the worst mistake of all …
Write off thousands of dollars rather than talk to a client about variations!